A Call to Arms is a novel by David Weber, Timothy Zahn, and Tom Pope, and the second book of the Manticore Ascendant prequel series. Expanding on the events of the short story of the same name, it was released in October 2015.
Timeframe: 1539 - 1543 PD
Cover Summary Edit
- Lieutenant Travis Long of the Royal Manticoran Navy is the sort of person who likes an orderly universe. One where people follow the rules.
- Unfortunately, he lives in the real universe.
- The good news is that Travis is one of those rare people who may like rules but has a talent for thinking outside them when everything starts coming apart. That talent has stood him—and the Star Kingdom—in good stead in the past, and it's one reason he's now a "mustang," an ex-enlisted man who's been given a commission as a King's officer.
- The bad news is that two of the best ways of making enemies ever invented are insisting on enforcing the rules... and thinking outside them when other people don't. Travis learned that lesson the hard way as a young volunteer in basic training, and he knows that if he could just keep his head down, turn a blind eye to violations of the rules, and avoid stepping on senior officers' toes, he’d do just fine. But the one rule Travis Long absolutely can't break is the one that says an officer in the Royal Navy does his duty, whatever the consequences.
- At the moment, there are powerful forces in the young Star Kingdom of Manticore's Parliament which don't think they need him. For that matter, they’re pretty sure they don't need the Royal Manticoran Navy, either. After all, what does a sleepy little single-system star nation on the outer edge of the explored galaxy need with a navy?
- Unhappily for them, the edge of the explored galaxy can be a far more dangerous place than they think it is. They're about to find out why they need the Navy... and how very, very fortunate they are that Travis Long is in it.
Gustav Anderman | Rol Badakar | Bajek | Torrell Baker | Celia Belokas | Bettor | Billingsgate | Blakely | Hugo Carpenter | Franklin Casey | Castillo | Thomas Cazenestro | Clymes | Crumpets | Cushing | Dahl | De la Roza | Anastasiya Dembinski | Ronald Devane | Lisa Donnelly | Dhotrumi | Dolarz | Eigen | Brad Fornier | Cutler Gensonne | Ghanem | Stephen Grimm | Cynthia Gundersen-Winton | Wolfe Guzarwan | Adrian Hagros | Ellen Hardasty | Davis Harper | Heinrich Hauptman | Rudolph Heissman | Gordon Henderson | Sweeney Imbar | Jacobson | Kebiro | Amador Khetha | Kostava | Aj Krit | Kyell | Labatte | Anderson L'Estrange | Jeremiah Llyn | Carlton Locatelli | Fenton Locatelli | Travis Long | MacNiven | Mallare | James Mantegna | Marcello | Marulich | McBride | Tash McConnovitch | Merripen | Allegra Metzger | Mota | Nabaum | Pascal Navarre | Nguema | Nikkelsen | Olver | Lorelei Osterman | Pappadakis | Peirola | Petrenko | Pickers | Plover | Wanda Ravel | John Ross | Yvonne Rowlandson | Rusk | Shapira | Susan Shiflett | Shora | Shresthra | Skorsky | George Sukowski | Clara Sumner | Maximillian Todd | Tomasello | Charles Townsend | Ulobo | Lydia Ulvestad | Vachali | Gavin Vellacott | von Belling | Edward I Winton | Elizabeth Winton | Michael I Winton | Richard Winton | Sophie Winton | Alfred Woodburn
Royal Manticoran Navy
- HMS Aquila
- HMS Aries
- HMS Bellerophon
- HMS Casey
- HMS Damocles
- HMS Gorgon
- HMS Guardian
- HMS Hercules
- HMS Invincible
- HMS Libra
- HMS Nike (BC-09)
- HMS Pegasus
- HMS Phobos
- HMS Phoenix (DD-08)
- HMS Salamander
- HMS Sphinx
- HMS Swiftsure
- HMS Taurus
- HMS Thorson
- HMS Vanguard
- HMS Victory
Earldom of Acton | Axelrod Corporation | battlecruiser | Black Piranha | Earldom of Breakwater | Duchy of Burgundy | Bureau of Personnel | Bureau of Ships | Earldom of Calvingdell | Casca System | Cascan Defense Force | Conspicuous Gallantry Medal | Barclay Street | Barony of Castle Rock | Cross of Military Valor | Battle of Manticore (1543 PD) | Bound for the Promised Land | Cascan sol | Casey-Rosewood Instructional Center | Chancellor of the Exchequer | Earldom of Chillon | Committee for Military Sanity | corvette | Earldom of Dapplelake | destroyer | Deuxième Prison | dogs | Eridani Edict | Earldom of Fairburn | First Lord of the Admiralty | freighter | Hamilton Hotel | Barony of Harwich | Haven Sector | Havenite franc | hexapuma | House of Lords | hyperdrive | impeller drive | Landing | light cruiser | Manderlay Arms Apartments | Manticoran dollar | Manticoran Patrol and Rescue Service | Manticore Cross | Manticore System | Manticore Wormhole Junction | Marsala Avenue | Meyerdahl System Defense Force | Mount Royal Palace | Minorca System | missile | New Berlin System | Nimbalkar System | Osterman Cross | Quechua City | Quechua City Police | Parliament | Paxlane 405 | Pegasus class | Picasso Rey | piracy | Rochelle | Royal Manticoran Marine Corps | Royal Manticoran Navy | Sabrepike | Salamander class | Secour System | Solarian credit | Suchien System | Travis Oolong | Telmach System | Barony of Tweenriver | Ueshiba System | uni-link | Unicorn Belt | Volsung Mercenaries | Barony of Winterfall | Zuckerman System | Code Zulu
|Book Companions||Ad Astra Companions|
|HOS||House of Steel Companion||SOTF||Ships of the Fleet Calendars|
|HOSH||House of Shadows Companion||SITS||Saganami Island Tactical Simulator|
|HOL||House of Lies Companion|
|Jayne's Intelligence Review||Jayne's Fighting Ships of the Galaxy|
|JIR1||The Royal Manticoran Navy||SB1||Ship Book 1: The Havenite Sector|
|JIR2||The Havenite Republican Navy||SB2||Ship Book 2: The Silesian Confederacy|
|JIR3||The Silesian Confederate Navy||SB3||Ship Book 3: The Short Victorious War|